The American Flag Offensive?!

Posted on 06 May 2010

Frank Borelli
Editor In Chief
New American Truth

In this article from the San Francisco Bay Area website we can read about how five American students were sent home from school. What was their offense? They had the audacity to wear clothing that sported American Flag designs on Cinco do Mayo. Yes, you read that right: a school in San Francisco sent American citizen students home from school because administrators were afraid that the American Flag clothing would be considered offensive and “incendiary” on Cinco de Mayo. My first reaction was, “Huh?” My second was far less pleasant.

First, to Daniel Galli, Dominic Maciel and their three friends who were all wearing bandanas or t-shirts that had American Flag designs on them: Way to go!! It is fantastic to see patriotic students who are proud of their country EVERY day of the year and dress to show it. I congratulate you and support you 110%.

Second, to Dominic’s mom whose reaction was, “I think it’s absolutely ridiculous. All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They’re expressing their individuality.” Amen, sister. Thank you for backing up your son and having the courage to face the school’s idiocy head on.

Third, to Annicia Nunez who voiced his belief that AMERICAN students wearing AMERICAN patriotic clothing in an AMERICAN school was “disrespectful” since they did it on Cinco de Mayo: If you feel so strongly about this, feel free to pack your crap and go live in Mexico. Are you an American? or are you a Mexican citizen? If you claim American citizenship then where is your national pride? If you’re not and our country upsets you, PACK UP AND GET OUT.

Fourth, to the Vice Principal at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, California: If the AMERICAN students of Mexican descent are offended by the site of a patriotic symbol ANY day of the year, perhaps the educational environment needs to be changed. If the students complaining are MEXICAN citizens living in America – legally or otherwise – and are offended by patriotic symbols, perhaps you should man up and explain to them that this is America and it’s what we do. If they don’t like it then they should discuss living arrangements – and travel arrangements – with their parents.

I was raised by an Italian father (Borelli, duh…) who celebrated Columbus Day every year. We went to festivals and gathered with family. It was not uncommon to see the Italian flag flown but it was always UNDER the American Flag and no one got offended by an American flag shown or designed into clothing. On St. Patrick’s Day each year the Irish celebrate hard but I’ve yet to hear one complain about someone wearing an American Flag design on their clothing.

Thankfully the Morgan Hill Unified School administration didn’t agree with Live Oak High School’s “leadership”. The statement released by the school district said:

The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration’s interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions.

Amen.

Also thankfully, the boys in question were NOT suspended (as was threatened) and they returned to school on Thursday, May 6th – and at least one of them had on more patriotic clothing. Way to go!!!!

I encourage you to email Miguel Rodriguez and Kim Lemos to voice your opinion about this event. ONE of them (they are both Vice Principals) was the person who threatened to suspend these five American students for wearing patriotic clothing. Since the article doesn’t identify which one, just email them both.

Please share this as far and wide as you can!!!

Did you find this information helpful? If you did, consider donating.

6 Responses to “The American Flag Offensive?!”

1. jim owen says:

cinco de mayo isnot even celibrated in mexico,so why is it here

2. Mike Naccarato says:

No doubt an act of ignorance by people who are supposed to be educated and teaching. I not only hope the school gets sued, I would have no problem fronting money to the parents and the students to help retain an attorney.

3. Kim Severyn says:

As the old Merle Haggard song says “If you don’t love it leave it, when your talking down my country hoss your walking on the fightin side of me” I saw on the news that a hispanic knocked the American Flag off a truck being driven by I believe one of the 5 patriotic students. I think the young man was lucky the police were in the area because it looked to me like a butt whipping was going to take place. All of this politcal correctness, this diversity awareness is poppy cock. Instead of celebrating diversity lets celebrate assimilation. I can appreciate diffrent cultures, but lets get real if you are in this country reaping the benefits of living in the best nation in the world, then show some respect for the country. Other wise, don’t let the door hit you in the backside leaving it.

4. Gary Smith says:

The young hispanic kids don’t even know what they’re getting their panties in a bunch about. As far as respect – that is a two way street. And as Kim above states, assimilation. Read your history about this. Every wave of immigrants previous to the Mexican/Latino/Hispanic assimilated. Parts of the previous immigrants’ cultures became part of our common American culture. That does not appear to be the case now. It seems that the American culture must change for them. Maybe not, but that what is looks like to me. If another county is so great, why are you here?

5. Robert Wikerchamp says:

Read the history…the real Americans is the native” other then that are immigrants of generation and generation dont be an ignorant….I pay taxes like you, and my family are immigrants from Ireland and Germany and thats not mean Im Native just only American citizen I thing you the Redneck” brain is stoffing with turkey LOL. You sad you enjoing to be a Redneck uuuuppppssss you are the king o yeah LOL….. diversity is the best way be a good Redneck like me I grow up in the mountains of Ohio with poor family but my father and my mother teach me values,respect other people and cultures remember you are not American you are American citizen like me just change your mind be a good person….

6. Brian Webb says:

I was born in this greatest of all nations and I served her in the Army and I serve her now as a Deputy Sheriff. I am pissed that a public servant like a principal would do this. This is why the Pledge should be put back in every classroom, to remind all those of other nations that choose to live here that if you want to live here you must Pledge your allegiance to this great country and her flag…enough of this liberal horsepucky and get back to the basics….Old Glory will stand no matter what Principal uses as a principle. God Bless the USA and all those serving her…